Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Swiss Simplicity

Wow... The beauty is amazing, like nothing I've ever seen, here in the Alps. On the train, then bus, then gondola up to the beautiful, quaint, homey hostel our jaws were on the floor and my finger couldn't work fast enough on my camera as we gazed high into the sky at the magnificent monstrous mountains. 
We are currently on a train from Interlaken Switzerland to Mainz Germany where we have a free night at another Hyatt. As I see the mountains getting smaller in the distance I am saddened. It was sooo hard to leave this morning and say goodbye to Gimmelwald and the Mountain Hostel. But just like in Nice, I know I will be back. Luckily we got to stay two nights so yesterday was a full day there.
We slept in till about 9:30, woke up and had some coffee with Jane and Matt, a great Aussie couple, who were so kind- giving Lauren some medicine because she didn't feel well. After feeling a little better we took a 45 minute hike up to Murren, where we had a delicious brunch, overlooking a picturesque view of the mountains. Lauren, still not feeling her best decided to go back to the hostel to relax, while I took a hike to see some waterfalls. Turns out Lauren actually took a muscle relaxer- no wonder she didn't feel up to hiking! I was really bummed that Lauren didn't feel well, especially because this was the place she was most excited about. We think it may have been altitude sickness, as she's feeling a little better now off the mountain. But I hiked to the waterfall on my own and took sooo many pictures of EVERYTHING! (wish I could put them up now, but there's no way to on my iPad.) I walked under the waterfall and soaked in as much beauty and fresh air as possible. I walked back to the hostel all down hill and found Lauren enjoying herself reading a book.
For dinner Petra, the owner of the hostel, invited us to enjoy Mexican food with her family and friends. The wonderful meal that reminded us of home was put together by Aaron and Joel the awesome guys we met that love Gimmelwald so much that they never left! I found out that the close-knit community, slower less complicated way of life, and the beautiful mountains are the reasons they've stayed. Honestly, I agreed and was tempted to stay as well! We played cards for hours with our new friends, and my not-so-pleasant competitive nature came out... The guys taught us how to play Crud- a pool game in which I decided I couldn't leave the Mountain Hostel until I won at least once! Thanks guys for letting me win, although now I wish I would have lost and I'd still be living the simple, relaxing life that I found in the small town of Gimmelwald.

Yesterday was one of my favorite days of the trip for so many reasons. 1.We got to finally relax and throw our schedule out the window. 
2.We saw God's beautiful creation. 
3.We met great people and enjoyed a delicious meal, played fun games, and had stimulating thought-provoking conversation.
 Although the day was not greatly eventful or crazy, it will always be special and I will count down the days until I can return to the simplicity and ease that is Gimmelwald.

Don't want to think about the reality of heading home on Friday :/
Only three stops left!
-A&L

No comments:

Post a Comment